The Marshman weekend will host 3 triathlon races over the two days. On Saturday, the Marshman Standard (1500m,40k,10k ), and the Mini-Marshman (700m/24k/6k).
Alongside these two events is a Club competition (see below and event page for details) which is free to enter for qualifying clubs, where athletes taking part in the sprint and standard events will earn points for a team score. There are cash prizes for this competition.
On Sunday is the Marshman Half-Iron distance race (1900m,92k,21k) and a series of 3 swim-only races which will probably all begin at or near the same time, with 1.9k, 3.8k and 5.7k distances available. Those appear on separate event pages.
Transition (for triathlons) and registration (all events) will open at 6:30 on both days. See the event pages for individual start times.
Security: no-one will be allowed to take a bike from transition without a matching wristband number.
Relay Team Entries
Relay team entries are welcome at all our multisport races. If entering on-line, just enter one person as normal, with the team name as your ‘club’, then send us an email with that entrant’s name, the team name and the other members’ details. If entering by post, please fill out one entry form, mark the Gender as ‘Team’ and add the other team members’ details, on the back if necessary. In both cases, just one entry fee applies to the whole team – you are only entering one race, after all. In our triathlons, teams of 2 or 3 are equally acceptable. Changeover will occur in ‘transition’, at your bike position, where the timing chip and race number must be transferred between athletes before continuing.
Changes for 2016 and 2017
• The usual HQ field is not available this year, so parking is a bit further down the Dengemarsh Road (same road, on the right) at Herons Leisure.
• Limited camping is still available – please ask Mike for details on 07980 705961. It will likely be mentioned in your race email too.
• After lengthy deliberation and mindful of another promoter’s event in 2015, it has been decided on safety grounds that wet-suits will be compulsory in the lake again this year, for all events, with apologies to those who prefer to swim without.
• Regrettably we have familiar tardis loos as the luxury ones can’t be got into the site.
• The old, concrete, military road is increasingly ‘undulating’ in its concrete slab arrangement, so we feel it’s too dangerous to include in the cycle routes, especially with that tyre-sized slot down the middle. The return cycle routes will all now come back down Robin Hood Lane to transition. The run routes will be 1- or 2- laps of that military road as appropriate for the sprint and standard tri’s but do watch for uneven slabs.
New from 2016, we’re introducing a club competition for the Saturday of Marshman Weekend. Each South-East registered tri club can enter one or more teams of 3 named members of any/mixed gender, each of whom will race the whole triathlon as individuals but will also earn points for their group of 3. First place overall would get 1 point, 2nd=2, 23rd=23 points etc. Points for the 3 members are added up and the team with the least points wins the club competition. Cash prizes for 1st, 2nd & 3rd team will be £250, £150 and £100. Points will be adjusted to make sprint and standard races equivalent, so members can race in either. If there are more than 10 teams, prize money will increase pro-rata. Small details may change as ideas develop at Velocity Towers but you get the idea, so start training.
Team names should consist of your club, plus A, B, C etc. for multiple team entries. An entry form will be available when our web slave has invented it (oops), which please bring or fill in on the day. There will not be an on-line entry for this free competition.
Site plan and swim routes
Here is the site plan, points of interest, parking (a bit South) together with race features and swim courses.
How does race day work? Read our FAQ especially the bit titled “Race Day”.
On-line entries usually close at 8pm on the preceding Thursday.
Entry On the Day will be available (cash only please) at the EoD price shown on the ‘postal’ form, which you could print, fill in and bring with you.